My Eclipse 3.6 froze today at startup. I think what I did was that I clicked on the shortcut a bit too fast and two instances of Eclipse started running at the same time. I got an error message for one saying “workspace in use”. I killed the one that showed the error message but then my Eclipse will no longer start up.
I searched around for solutions.
The one that SORTA worked for me is below from here.
- cd .metadata/.plugins
- mv org.eclipse.core.resources org.eclipse.core.resources.bak
- Start eclipse. (It should show an error message or an empty workspace because no project is found.)
- Close all open editors tabs.
- Exit eclipse.
- rm -rf org.eclipse.core.resources (Delete the newly created directory.)
- mv org.eclipse.core.resources.bak/ org.eclipse.core.resources (Restore the original directory.)
- Start eclipse and start working.
However, just doing that did not exactly solve my problem. I ended up going to the .metainfo/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.project directory and started deleting random project and trial on error. I finally found the project that was the culprit and fixed my issue.
Another suggestion by a coworker that has worked before if Eclipse freezes at startup is:
- cd workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench
- Make backup of workbench.xml
- Edit workbench.xmlfile and remove all <editor> tags.