i’m so tired of all the gallery scripts available. maybe i’m just not looking at the correct location. i really don’t care about all the functionalities such as comments, rating, hits etc. i don’t even know why the scripts need a database support. i just want a script that quickly loads the photos and give me A LOT OF control of the layout so it will work with all of my themes.
here’s my idea. designate a folder for ALL PHOTOS for the photo album. let’s call this folder the root folder. each directory created within the root folder would a specific category. all folders created within the category folder would be subcategories. within each folder are all the photo files nothing else. there will be on php file in the root folder that holds the description of all photos in one big array.
when the script loads, it simply reads the root folder and then figure everything out from here. the script is able to generate thumbnails.
this would mean, you can upload the photos in bulk with ftp along with a description file and boom, your gallery should be updated. NO UPLOAD, NO DATABASE UPDATE and all those crap.
after looking around and trying a few different free scripts, i did not find anything that totally satisfy my need. then inspired by leslie’s gallery script , i’ve decided to write my own. it’s pretty much done. i still need to add a few more descriptions. btw thank you leslie for all your help during my development!
current features include:
- auto read dir and its subdir
- auto create thumbnails
- auto generate the next and previous photo link
- display __ number of random photos
- display __ number of newest photos
- auto delete thumbnails if the orginal photos are deleted
- an admin script that allows me to regenerate thumbnails if necessary
- an admin script that would generate my big description array like this
- most importantly it will be compatible with all my themes! this means it’s validated xhtml strict
blah that’s all i can think of. i don’t think it will be sharing this script any time soon. it involves too much. but then sometimes i feel bad not sharing. we will see. if you think you will use a script like this, let me know.